Monday, December 23, 2019

SEINFELD HOLIDAY GIFTS

Of all the shows that I have been associated with at two  networks, the most generous when it came to holiday gifts was Seinfeld. Every year we would anxiously wait for the present to arrive and we were never disappointed. I still have many of them and I thought that today being Festivus (also the day Jerry told my boss Warren Littlefield that he would not be doing another season) I would share those gifts with you. There may be others lying around my house but these are the ones that I could dig up.

The first gift that I could remember is no longer with me. I used it every day through much of my time at NBC and when I moved on to FOX I actually threw it away. It was pretty disgusting. It was a black leather script bag which I used to carry whatever back and forth from the office. I can only imagine what crap I has spilled in it over the years. I gave it a decent burial.

One of the simpler gifts are something I use to this day. I have four Seinfeld cereal bowls.



You only see three here because the fourth is currently holding some hard boiled eggs in the fridge.

Another one of my prize possessions is this silk jacket which I wore quite often but I think it's too fragile now. By the way Seinfeld had a deal with Nike so many of the gifts are Nike branded.


George had a field jacket which he wore in several episodes and this arrived as our holiday surprise


I got a lot of use out of this one

One year Rick Ludwin, who oversaw Seinfeld and sadly passed recently, had his assistant Betty ask me for my shoe size. I had a feeling it had to do with that year's holiday gift. My good friend Vince Manze, our marketing guru, was out of the office that day and, when asked, his assistant did not know his shoe size. A few weeks later these arrived.



A delivery of sneakers arrived in the suite I shared with Rick and Vince. Vince went looking for his shoes only to discover that, because his assistant did not provide a size, he was shut out of that year's holiday gift. It was pretty uncomfortable in the office for several days.

Finally my favorite gift was this Seinfeld baseball jacket.


I don't believe that shows are as generous today, maybe you get a cap. It's more common to give to a charity rather than send something to executives who already have everything they need. Just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment