Wednesday, December 11, 2019

TLC - THE CARD SO FAR


There’s just too much wrestling. We have definitely entered the “Peak Wrestling” era and it’s only going to get peakier. I wish I could say that we have an embarrassment of riches….we ,do have an embarrassment though. There’s very little that’s going right and a lot that’s going wrong.

AEW is OK and some sort of WCW/WWE Attitude Era hybrid but, honestly for me it’s not great just better than the WWE main roster shows which is not saying much.
I find myself watching more of the smaller promotions like NWA POWERRR, ROH and MLW (which, full disclosure, I have a connection) and there’s always NJPW. NXT is still fantastic and I’m hoping their moment to shine will not alter the promotion too much.

WWE has completely screwed up the SMACKDOWN transition to FOX. First there was Kofi jobbing to Lesnar, then the shitty draft, then Lesnar moves over to RAW and SMACKDOWN gets this joke called The Fiend, followed by “Saudi Blood Money” and finally the NXT invasion which sort of sells that the black and gold is the superior brand (they are). We are two months into the SMACKDOWN on FOX era and Smackdown has yet to establish an identity and all is in service to PPV’s.

Speaking of PPV’s I wish someone would tell me why I should care at all about TLC this Sunday especially when the WWE doesn’t even promote a card until the last moment. This feels more like just another “wild card rules” episode than a major event. It doesn’t even feel like it will be advancing many stories. For me it’s just an excuse to make a vat of PPV chili so there’s that.

Well here’s the card as we know it for the moment along with predictions (I assume every match has a winner knowing…yeah) and my patented “Holy Shit” 💩 projections.

Aleister Black vs. Buddy Murphy

This could be the match of the night and these two guys could well be the future. Not a fan of how they have built up Black’s character. Sort of silly asking someone to fight him while “hiding in a closet” on a show where everyone fights everyone but hopefully that’s behind him and us and now we can enjoy his talent along with his opponent Mr. Murphy. There is no loser in this battle but I assume Black goes over in a 💩💩💩💩1/2 match. Two guys who will be main-eventing in the future and for years to come. See I’m not all negative.

Viking Raiders Open Challenge

I don’t know why they didn’t save Street Prophets as those guys put on a pretty solid match with the VR’s on RAW this week and, to be honest, I don’t have a fucking clue what other tag teams are on the RAW roster so I’m going with the return of the USO’s or a surprise NXT team like Keith Lee and Dominik Dijakovic….ooooo I like that. Probably be AOP with Seth in the Paul Ellering role. Since this Open Challenge is a new thing for the Raiders I assume they prevail and, If it’s any of the above teams, could be a 💩💩💩 match.

Kabuki Warriors vs. Charlotte Flair & Becky Lynch ( tag team championship TLC match)

I’m so confused. Is the Women’s Tag Team Championship limited to RAW or is it still interpromotional? Regardless this the match that can go in many directions and features three of my favorite wrestlers in Asuka, Kairi Sane and Charlotte. Becky’s OK. This should be a 💩💩💩💩 match and I don’t see what value putting the belts on Charlotte and Becky gets you so I’m going with the Kabukis prevailing with a Charlotte/Becky feud coming out of this.

The New Day (c) vs. The Revival (SmackDown tag team championship)

I don’t care, I really really really don’t care. Love The New Day but I feel like I’ve seen this so many times and The Revival are solid wrestlers but boring and TND don’t need belts….they are transcendent at this point. I’ll go Revival in a 💩💩 match just so I can get on with the next one.

Rusev vs. Bobby Lashley (Tables match)

I guess the only positive that I see in this story is if it’s building up Rusev for a main event run or, at least a mid-card title. This dude has some potential and the WWE has never figured out how to take him to the next level. Catherine is a terrible actress and I will eat my mask if she does not go through the table. Going with Rusev in a 💩1/2 match.

Roman Reigns vs. Baron Corbin (TLC match)

Another feud that has gone on way too long and I have zero interest. There’s heat and then there’s hate and when it comes to King Corbin I’m in the hate zone and I hope this is the end of it but my fear is we’re going on for a while maybe with his crown on the line soon. Whatever, it’s Roman in another 💩1/2 match and the one most likely to not end in a clean finish. There will be dog food.

Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz

OK so is this The Fiend v. The Miz or Bray Wyatt v. The Miz. Is it for the Smackdown Championship or is it for the Miz’s family? I have no idea and this is all leading to something else most likely the return of the new old new Daniel Bryan as some sort of Fiend functionary who will feud with Miz all the way to Wrestlemania. I guess we’ll wait to see if we’re seeing red in a 💩 match with Fiend/Wyatt victorious along with a Bryan run in.

That’s what we know so far. There are still three belts unaccounted for and there’s always a cruiserweight match and it’s only Wednesday so I’ll update Saturday morning although the WWE will be adding to the card on Sunday afternoon I’m sure.


2 comments:

  1. MLW is easily the second best weekly show running currently — love it. The best though? I’ve been begun watching Impact again over the last six months or so and they are putting on an incredibly fun and diverse show. You are really missing out MS if you don’t check in and give it a shot!

    Oh, and totally agree about the Smackdown Fox fail. Such an opportunity and it’s just more of the same blah. I’d have to think Fox is seriously regretting that deal when it’s just barely winning the night and getting killed in total viewership. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch EVERYTHING including IMPACT. Haven't quite connected to it yet but, like all the promotions, they are always one storyline or wrestler away from the heat.

      Delete